On Friday it will two months since we met our boy in person. More and more he is understanding the way our home and family functions and how he fits in.
His English is blossoming. Last week I found him trying to read some English words. This morning I started him out on some beginning readers I used to teach the other kids to read. He read two little booklets without a hitch. In fact, he almost seemed insulted by how simple they were, but he was delighted with himself too.
After we found out how much Dong/Josiah loves to swim, we bought a membership to the YMCA. After the first couple of times of taking the kids swimming, I had to return to work on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Greg has taken those two afternoons to take the kids to the pool so I had not seen his progress for three weeks. I was amazed when I took the kids yesterday. The little boy who had to think and work up courage to put his face in the water is now floating, swimming, and touching the bottom of the pool with his hands. He LOVES it!
Dong/Josiah's favorite place is still in front of the computer playing games. He likes to earn extra computer time by learning new English words. Every three new words is worth another 15 minutes. His goal is six words a day. He hoots and hollers and does a victory jig when he reaches his goal.
We are busy around here getting ready for R's graduation party on May 11th. As a home school student, she is not participating in any ceremony, but we are having a party in our church youth room to honor her accomplishments. She hopes to get a job this spring or summer as a Certified Nursing Assistant. R plans on going to the local community college next year and then move into a massage therapy program in the Des Moines area.
Time to get back to school with the kids!
Blessings to all...Joni
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the update! What a pleasure to hear about a child's joys! Congratulations to R!
Glad I finally found your blog. Keep the updates coming! It's so fun to hear the stories about his and the family's adventures and adjustments. If only your poor cat could talk.....
Post a Comment