Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Finally...


Sorry gang. I hope the few of you still hoping I might add something someday weren't worried. All is well.

Josiah did great on the plane ride home. He especially enjoyed the personal video screen with his own remote on the plane ride from Korea to Chicago. He was either pushing buttons on the remote or computer screen, eating, or sleeping. He was a happy camper. He fell into a DEEP sleep on the one hour jaunt from Chicago to Des Moines. We had our worst melt down ever when I had to wake him..and I don't blame him at all. Greg went ahead and warned the kids that Josiah was experiencing difficulties while I tried to wait out the storm. I eventually just carried him in spite of his obvious objections. He calmed down when he saw the kids but he was still pretty sullen.

The good news is that by the time we drove home he was smiling and interacting with the kids. He was eager to go in the house and explore. He was taken aback by the size of the cat. He is used to scrawny looking things and our cat is a bit massive. He wasn't too sure about the dog at first but readily warmed up to her. It was a good day after all.

Josiah loves games...Connect Four, Uno (the one that spits out the cards), Memory... He especially loves computer games. He loves to ride bike on those days that are acting like spring and not winter (it is snowing again this morning...Ugggh!). He loves swimming so much that we joined the YMCA. It was cheaper to buy a membership than pay to go twice a month.

He's a great kid. He is normal in that when he is bored, he looks for trouble. He likes to hit the escape key when people are on the computer, turn off the light switches, harass the cat...small annoyances really...but he likes peoples' responses! He also loves to snuggle in the morning and get a good back scratching.

EAT...wow...this kid can eat. He had five pieces of pizza the other night. He usually has three eggs for breakfast. He especially likes meat and proteins. It will be interesting to see how much he grows in the next couple of months.

David (6) and Josiah (7) are the best of buds. There has only been a couple of minor skirmishes over who had rights to the computer. They do not seem to tire of each other. Speaking of which, they are both awake now...so it is time to go.

Now that I am caught up a bit...mom of six gone for 2 1/2 weeks...it took me a while...I hope to be a better blogger.

Blessings to all...Joni

3 comments:

The Mother Archer said...

Well I, for one, have been checking regularly, thinking about calling, so thanks for the update!

I have a book called "Big Brother, Little Brother" by Marci Curtis that talks about all kinds of brothers. One page says,

"Big brother and I, adopted from the start
Though we're not blood brothers, we are brothers of the heart."

The last page says,

Big brother, little brother, our adventures never end.
We'll always have each other and you'll always be my friend."

We'll probably come to Ames for an international dinner with Rose this weekend or in a few weeks. Maybe we'll see you there!

Kelly

Gretchen said...

so glad to see this update and that you all are settling in well- I've caught tidbits from your fellow traveler and the Holt board. Nice to read that he is doing well and that the siblings are adjusting so well!!

Matt, Katie and Micah Riley said...

Hey Gang,

Just wanted to let you know that I was here. Love seeing all the great pictures and can't wait to meet Josiah - what a cutie. All my love!

Aunt Katie